Skip to main content

Summer Toy Insurance: Boat, Jet Ski, ATV, and more!

Summertime, and the living is easy, at least that’s what Ella Fitzgerald says. The weather is warm, the kids are out of school, and family BBQs are happening. It’s time to take your warm weather toys out of storage and get ready for trips to the river, the lake, or the ocean. The living might seem easy but an accident involving your boat or ATV could complicate things. No matter what your summer plans are, we’re here to make sure you and your toys are covered this summer!

Is insurance required for summer toys?

Insurance requirements for boats vary from state to state and depend on things like use and horsepower. Generally speaking, most states don’t require boaters to purchase boat insurance and the few that do require insurance, limit the requirement to boats with at least a 50 horsepower engine. Even if your state doesn’t require you to carry coverage on your boat, you may still be required to have insurance if you plan to rent a slip from a marina or if you have financed your boat. It’s important to check with your local marina and your bank to make sure you have any required coverage.

Insurance requirements for ATVs also vary from state to state and depend on where you’ll be riding. ATVs and UTVs are not street-legal so there are no insurance requirements to own one; but if you plan to ride on state-owned land or parks, you will likely need to carry liability coverage for your ATV. If you know you’ll only be riding on land that you own or lease, you aren’t required to carry coverage but it’s still a good idea to consider it. If you’re involved in an accident and you don’t have insurance, you would be financially responsible for any damage you cause and any injuries related to the accident.  

Do I really need toy insurance?

Even if you aren’t required to carry insurance on your boat, it’s still a good idea to consider it. Accidents happen and insurance will protect you when something goes wrong. Most boat insurance policies are “all risk” policies which means you’re covered in a variety of situations including collisions, theft, vandalism, fire, sinking, and storm damage. You may have the option to add coverage for personal items kept on your boat such as fishing gear, wakeboards, surf boards, and other watersports equipment. Even if you don’t feel like you need coverage for physical damage, you may want to consider taking out liability coverage to protect you in the event that you cause damage to someone else’s property or are hit by an uninsured boater.

You could say the same thing about insurance for your ATV and other off-road vehicles. You may not be legally required to carry ATV insurance but riding can be risky so it’s a good idea to look at your options. You may want to consider taking out collision coverage to help repair or replace your ATV in the event that you cause an accident or uninsured/underinsured coverage in the event that someone without coverage hits you. As with boat insurance, you may have the option to add coverage for optional equipment such as loading ramps and safety equipment.

If you’re getting ready for summer fun or thinking about purchasing a boat or ATV, let us help you make an informed decision about your insurance. Call your local Acceptance Insurance Agent today and let’s talk about the options that best fit your needs!   

Ready to Get a Quick Quote?