Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Commercial Auto Insurance FAQ

What Is Commercial Auto Insurance?

Commercial auto insurance is a form of coverage that protects against property damage and liability for vehicles designated for business use.

Is Commercial Car Insurance Just for Trucks?

No. Commercial car insurance covers more than just trucks. Although it is vital for semi-trucks, box trucks, and company vans, commercial insurance is not exclusive to specific vehicle types.

Why Can’t I Just Use My Personal Auto Policy for My Business Vehicle?

Generally, personal auto insurance policies do not offer sufficient liability limits to adequately protect business vehicles in an accident. Furthermore, using your personal vehicle for work purposes during an accident could potentially invalidate your personal auto insurance coverage.

What Types of Vehicles Can Be Insured Under Commercial Auto Insurance?

The following vehicles can be covered:

  • Taxis
  • Cars, SUVs, and pick-up trucks used for business purposes
  • Snowplows
  • Limousines
  • Flatbeds
  • Vehicles that have specialized work equipment installed.
  • Tow trucks
  • Dump trucks
  • Box trucks
  • Utility vans
  • Semi-trucks
  • Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and additional options may also be available.

Will Commercial Insurance for Vehicles Cover My Employees’ Driving My Company Car?

Yes, your commercial insurance plan for vehicles typically covers employees driving your insured business vehicle with your permission. It may also provide coverage if you use a rented vehicle or if your employee uses their own vehicle for business purposes.

What if I Drive My Business Vehicle for Personal Use? Am I Covered?

Yes, personal use of company-owned vehicles is typically covered under commercial car insurance. If your personal vehicle is insured as well and you allow your family members to drive it, make sure to ask your agent about “non-owned vehicle endorsement” coverage to guarantee their protection.

I Make Money Driving for a Ridesharing Service like Uber and Lyft. Does this Mean I Should Get a Commercial Vehicle Plan?

It depends! Ask the ride sharing company (like Uber or Lyft) about their insurance coverage policy. Also, check with your local DMV to see if there are any state laws for ride sharing. And most importantly, have a chat with your insurance agent. They’ll help you figure out if you need extra coverage, a commercial vehicle policy, or if your current plan is enough for you.

I Use My Personal Car to Deliver Pizzas. Do I Really Need Commercial Car Coverage?

Yes, if you work as a courier, pizza delivery person or in a similar line of work, you will likely require commercial vehicle insurance for your personal car. But don’t worry! If you use your personal vehicle for work, you can ask your employer to list you on their commercial auto policy for non-owner coverage. And if your work is seasonal or temporary, you should speak with your insurance provider to see if you can obtain commercial coverage for a shorter period or at a discounted rate.

Where Can I Get Commercial Vehicle Coverage?

At Acceptance Insurance, you have the freedom to choose the best plan from our affordable options. Get a free commercial auto insurance quote online now. You can also stop by our welcoming offices or call us at 877-405-7102.

Ready to Get a Quick Quote?